Australian Flag Welcome to

A fun and learning site for (K6) kids and their adults

Grandpa Pencil
Finds out about

Philip Gidley King
(1758 - 1808)


Born 23 April 1758 at Launceston, Cornwall, England

King formed a relationship with the female convict Ann Inet.

Their first son, born on 8 January 1789, was named Norfolk. (He went on to become the first Australian-born officer in the Royal Navy and the captain of the schooner Ballahoo.)

Another son was born in 1790 and named Sydney.

Following the wreck of Sirius at Norfolk Island in March 1790, King left and returned to England to report on the difficulties of the settlements at New South Wales.

Ann Inett was left in Sydney with the boys; she later married another man in 1792, and went on to lead a comfortable and respected life in the colony.

King, who had probably arranged the marriage, also arranged for their two sons to be educated in England, where they became officers in the navy.


Whilst in England King married Anna Josepha Coombe (His First Cousin) on 11 March 1791.

King's first legitimate offspring, Phillip Parker King, was born there in December 1791, and four daughters followed.

Early Years

He joined the Royal Navy at the age of 12 as captain's servant, and was commissioned as a lieutenant in 1778.

King served under Arthur Phillip who chose him as second lieutenant on HMS Sirius for the expedition to establish a convict settlement in New South Wales.

On arrival, in January 1788, King was selected to lead a small party of convicts and guards to set up a settlement at Norfolk Island.

On 6 March 1788, King and his party landed with difficulty, owing to the lack of a suitable harbour, and set about building huts, clearing the land, planting crops, and resisting the ravages of grubs, salt air and hurricanes.

More convicts were sent, and these proved occasionally troublesome.

Early in 1789 he prevented a mutiny when some of the convicts planned to take him and other officers prisoner, and escape on the next boat to arrive.

Norfolk Island

On his return to Norfolk Island, King found the population of nearly one thousand torn apart by discontent after the strict regime of Major Robert Ross.

However, he set about enthusiastically to improve conditions.

He encouraged settlers, drawn from ex-convicts and ex-marines, and he listened to their views on wages and prices.

By 1794 the island was self-sufficient in grain, and surplus swine were being sent to Sydney.

The number of people living off the government store was high, and few settlers wanted to leave.

In February 1794 King was faced with unfounded allegations by members of the New South Wales Corps on the island that he was punishing them too severely and ex-convicts too lightly when disputes arose.

As their conduct became mutinous, he sent twenty of them to Sydney for trial by court-martial.

There Lieutenant-Governor Francis Grose censured King's actions and issued orders which gave the military illegal authority over the civilian population.

Grose later apologised, but conflict with the military continued to plague King.

Third Governor of New South Wales

Suffering from gout, King returned to England in October 1796, and after regaining his health, and resuming his naval career, he was appointed to replace Captain John Hunter as the third Governor of New South Wales.

King became Governor on 28 September 1800.

He set about changing the system of administration, and appointed Major Joseph Foveaux as Lieutenant-Governor of Norfolk Island.

His first task was to attack the misconduct of officers of the New South Wales Corps in their illicit trading in liquor, notably rum.

He tried to discourage the importation of liquor, and began to construct a brewery.

However, he found the refusal of convicts to work in their own time for other forms of payment, and the continued illicit local distillation, increasingly difficult to control.

He continued to face military arrogance and disobedience from the New South Wales Corps.

He failed to receive support in England when he sent an accused officer John Macarthur back to face a court-martial.

Management of the Colony

King had some successes.

His regulations for prices, wages, hours of work, financial deals, and the employment of convicts brought some relief to smallholders, and reduced the numbers 'on the stores'.

He encouraged construction of barracks, wharves, bridges, houses, etc. Government flocks and herds greatly increased, and he encouraged experiments with vines, tobacco, cotton, hemp, and indigo.

Whaling and sealing became important sources of oil and skins, and coal mining began.

He took an interest in education, establishing schools to teach convict boys to become skilled tradesmen, encouraged smallpox vaccinations, was sympathetic to missionaries, strove to keep peace with the indigenous inhabitants, and encouraged the first newspaper, the Sydney Gazette.

Exploration led to the survey of Bass Strait and Western Port, and the discovery of Port Phillip, and settlements were established at Hobart and Port Dalrymple in Van Diemen's Land.


While still aware that Sydney was a convict colony, he gave opportunities to emancipists, considering that ex-convicts should not remain in disgrace forever.

He appointed emancipists to positions of responsibility, regulated the position of assigned servants, and laid the foundation of the 'ticket of leave' system for deserving prisoners.
Although he directly profited from a number of commercial deals, cattle sales, and land grants, he was modest in his dealings compared with most of his subordinates.

The increased animosity between King and the New South Wales Corps led to his resignation and replacement by William Bligh in 1806, and he returned to England.

Died Here his health failed and he died on 3 September 1808.


'A World of Trivia', 'Dear Grandpa Pencil' and 'A Cheapskate's Guide to Exploring Tasmania By Car'
with Google Custom Search

Published by Robin A Cartledge ~ ABN 19 924 273 138 ~ Low Head, Tasmania ~ Contact/Comment