In February 1791, Ruse declares to the authorities that he is self-suffient, and two months later in March, he was granted a further 30 Acres.
After Ruse's sentence expired in 1792, the title of his land was deeded to him, the first land grant in the colony.
In 1793 he sold his land to Dr Harris of the New South Wales Corps.
The property is now the Experiment Farm Cottage museum of the National Trust of Australia.
In 1794 Ruse moved further out, to the junction of the Hawkesbury River with South Creek, and became a fairly successful farmer.
He and Elizabeth raised seven children, two of whom were thought to have been adopted.
Later, however, he was wiped out by flooding (always the risk of farming in the Hawkesbury) and had to find work as a seaman.
He was heavily in debt and only the hard work of his wife saved him from bankruptcy.
From 1828 he was employed as an overseer by a landowner at Minto, south of Sydney.